Wednesday 17 September 2008

aristotle square

The site for the CULTURE COUP installation is Aristotle Square, which faces the sea.



The artists start to explore the space, to work out where each piece should be placed.
Martin Pfeifle asks for a caravan, to use as his studio in Aristotle Square. The Municipality kindly provides it:

Photograph by Christoph Westermeir.

The artists LOVE their caravan: from left to right, Nicola, Benjamin, Shahar, Martin and Christoph.
Photograph by Christoph Westermeir.

The caravan IS glamorous! Photograph by Martin Pfeifle.

Autumn weather arrives, to delay work:

Caravan interiors...by Christoph Westermeir.

Nicola and Martin.


Shahar Kazara.

All the materials arrive, the caravan fills up and work begins:




As I worked on installing my piece, I was called over by this gentleman (below), one of many sitting on the benches surrounding Aristotle Square, including gypsies and 'illegals' selling DVDs, watching with interest as the artists worked on their mysterious objects.

He asked me for a kiss; and with Shahar translating, told me his name was CHRISTODOULOS MANTZARIS, that he was 96 years old, born 1912 in Istanbul, another survivor of ‘population exchanges’ who left Istanbul for Thessaloniki in 1939. Then he recited a poem he had written long ago, that he said had been broadcast on the BBC:


Give me land without borders, without barriers, without sour lips…

Give me sweet smiles.


Give me sweet smiles...


I work on my piece until the last possible moment: the opening is the next day. As always, adrenalin and anxiety.

The day ends with a celebratory dinner with our sponsors, Shahar Kazara,Thessaloniki's Vice Mayor and others from the Department of Culture:

From left to right: Shahar Kazara, leader of the Thessaloniki Symphony Orchestra, the Vice Mayor.
Benjamin Lee Martin, Martin Pfeifle.

Nicola Lane.



Martin Pfeifle and his Man Fan.

No comments: